Synchronous animation was: [Newbies]Quick noob snippets

Herbert König herbertkoenig at gmx.net
Wed May 21 08:33:38 UTC 2008

Hello Bert,

BF> Keep in mind we are on the beginners list. I do know where this is
BF> used, and why. But if someone asks this on the beginners list it is
BF> bad advice to give.

thanks for your clear words. I'll refrain from further giving that
advice here.

I started with every Morph having its own step method for the
animation. Then I found I needed exactly controlled synchronisation
and ended up with one transparent Morph (subclassed the model from
Morph instead of Object) with one central step method to animate
everything.

That's how I ended up with doOneCycle.

Other use case: the model is rally busy with a simulation but knows
when to draw the animation. And it needs *every* Morph redrawn.

So how to solve this? Send drawOn: in the step method and send step
from the model?

In searching I found World>>restoreMorphicDisplay (from the World
menu) and WorldState>>displayWorldSavely

Any pointers on how to control morphic display?

Thanks,

Herbert