[Newbies] how do I get a change lost from all change sets back into a valid change set?

Greg A. Woods; Planix, Inc. woods at planix.ca
Thu Nov 20 19:26:09 UTC 2008

On 20-Nov-2008, at 10:48 AM, Matthew Fulmer wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 05:15:00PM -0500, Greg A. Woods; Planix,
> Inc. wrote:
>> How do I get a change lost from all change sets back into a valid
>> change set?  I made a change in a method in an existing system class,
>> but the change was done in a project and so showed up initially in
>> the
>> project's change set and somehow in messing around relearning how to
>> use the change set sorter and the versions browser I managed to
>> remove
>> the change from the project change set and now it doesn't appear in
>> any change set.  The versions button when viewing the method still
>> shows the changes though.
>
> right-click on the method in the browser (or a category or a
> class). Somewhere in the menu is "add to current change set"

Yes, it's in the cascaded "more..." context menu (middle/yellow
button) from the method name in a method pane!  Thanks! I knew there
had to be a proper way to do this but I somehow missed this menu item
in my frantic search for a solution yesterday.

>> Also how do I _really_ remove intermediate changes from the versions
>> of a method?  I don't want all my intermediate changes to be kept any
>> more -- just the original and my final version.  The "remove from
>> changes" menu doesn't do what I thought it would (which is probably
>> how I made the whole set of versions for the method disappear
>> entirely
>> from the one and only change set it appeared in)
>
> Smalltalk condenseChanges

Yeah, that's a little too much overkill as Chris else mentioned.

I'm surprised there's still no easier way to collapse some
intermediate changes on individual methods (or even whole classes and/
or projects).  In the version control / SCM world it seems to me this
is a quite common request; though it is one that's not always handled
so well by more primitive systems.

Certainly for whole projects the file-out/file-in method Dave
describes is probably still the most complete and correct.  However
for trivial fixes to one or two methods this seems overkill.

On the other hand maybe I just need to adjust my paradigm for
versioning many things a bit more to be in line with the current state
of the art in Squeak.

How do folks propose small changes or fixes for Smalltalk these days?
I'm still very much entrenched in the diff/patch world of CVS and
similar systems.  I'm used to looking at diffs to understand changes,
and I like to read them directly in e-mail, not have to dive into the
programming environment / IDE / emacs or whatever and then perform
multiple operations just to then view the change inside the the IDE,
no matter how much more powerful the IDE presentation of the change
might be.

I am looking forward to learning to use Monticello to see if it really
does do the kinds of things I think it should do for full SCM within
Squeak.

--
					Greg A. Woods; Planix, Inc.
					<woods at planix.ca>