[Newbies] Porting an old app to a recent image

Matthias Korn matthias.korn at uni-siegen.de
Fri Oct 10 11:10:39 UTC 2008

Hi,

Am Thu, 9 Oct 2008 16:32:40 -0700
schrieb Yoshiki Ohshima <yoshiki at vpri.org>:

> At Thu, 9 Oct 2008 15:37:39 +0200,
> Matthias Korn wrote:
> >
> > [1  <text/plain; US-ASCII (7bit)>]
> > Hi,
> >
> > I already tried to fileIn a minimal part (one Morph class) of the
> > application I want to port and started resolving the errors in the
> > debugger one by one. Still, now I am stuck with the following error:
> > Metaclass(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #category
> > (the full Stack Trace is attached)
[..]
>   This apparently happens after some syntax error already happened.

I re-checked the errors I got before this one and I think I solved them
alright.

>   So the method being compiled has an issue.  Then the question is to
> find out which method.  In the debugger that produced the stack trace,
> visit somewhere at the bottom and see the content of aStream variable
> for Compiler>>translate:noPattern:ifFail:.  The method should have
> some problem.

I checked the method in the ReadStream of message, but couldn't make
out any problems (it is attached, though).

>   But it could be a subtle one...  You could also define #category
> method at Metaclass that simply returns nil and then try to file in, I
> think.

I tried that before (with returning self though), but without any luck
(I am getting: Metaclass(Object)>>error: ... "Error: Instances of
Metaclass are not indexable").

> -- Yoshiki

Thanks,
Matthias