[Newbies] Collection in Smalltalk

Alex Chi alex_chi99 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 24 20:11:10 UTC 2008

Hi guys,

I am just beginner in Smaltalk and I have some problem with collection in smalltalk.
For this problem I have to define the value of an alphabetic character based on its location in the alphabet. So ‘a’ and  ‘A’ each have value 1, ‘b’ and ‘B’ each have 2, etc. Non-alphabetic characters can be considered to have value 0.
The value of a word is the sum of the value of all its characters. So ‘Smalltalk’ has value 101 and ‘abc’ has value 6.
A dollar word is a word whose value is 100.  I want to add a method to the String class that returns all the dollar words in the string.

So for example if the input is 'SmallTalk' the result is ('SmallTlk' 'SmllTlk').

Please kindly help me guys. Really appreciate your help.

Thanks.