[Newbies] SqueakMap, Universes, Monticello - Lost in dependencies...

Markus Fritsche fritsche.markus at gmx.net
Sat Sep 27 19:49:55 UTC 2008

Hello squeak.general,

it's the time of the year again - I am installing squeak, development
enhancements, seaside and persistence frameworks again, since the nights
become longer and everything flash-based device I have is already bricked...

I don't know how to put this in writing without being a troll!

What I observed is that it is very hard to find the latest (working)
packages within the tools provided (SqueakMap, Universe browser). For
instance, Magma: there are various Packages for Magma out there, called
Magma 0.9beta, Magma r40, Magma 1.0, Magma Tester (one of the most
popular packages on squeaksource) etc. pp. (Magma is just an example, no
insult to the maintainer!).

I am confused which packages to load for my yet-to-be-built development
image to work properly.

Am I doing something terribly wrong? If not, is this just
system-immanent or is there a way to (partially, fully) solve this? For
instance, I'm thinking of something like the debian popularity contest -
when somebody explicitly accepts it, his image configuration of
(unchanged) monticello-packages is sent to a server and registered as
"up and running, working" or "up and not running, DNU-hell!"?

If you think I'm wrong, please reply with "[TROLL] Rant of nobrainer" in
the subject line ;-)

Kind regards,
		maf