[Newbies] multiple Transcript windows

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Sep 27 22:03:18 UTC 2008

On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 01:01:31PM -0500, Mark Volkmann wrote:
> If I have multiple Transcript windows open, can I choose in code which
> one will receive output?
> If not, what is the purpose of having more than one open?

The Transcript is normally used as a single place to write things, such that
each open Transcript window is a view onto the same unlying transcript stream.
Thus the singleton instance is kept in a global variable, and is an instance
of TranscriptStream:

	Smalltalk at: #Transcript

To explicitly write output to different windows, you could do something
like this:

	| t1 t2 |
	t1 := TranscriptStream new.
	t1 open.
	t2 := TranscriptStream new.
	t2 open.
	t1 show: 'this is my private transcript number one'.
	t2 show: 'this is my private transcript number two'.

- Dave