[Newbies] Confirmation when saving, from Setting up squeak on Ubuntu thread

K. K. Subramaniam subbukk at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 03:46:44 UTC 2009

On Friday 10 April 2009 7:27:06 am Jerome Peace wrote:
> The most often encountered slip is to save a change set or a project in a
> new directory or a directory from which all other change sets of the same
> name have been removed. You get a Changeset.1.cs which you probably already
> have somewhere. This is not what you want but how do you know that's what
> you got?
It is, indeed, confusing for people who switch between Squeak and the
underlying hosts to stumble on such 'impedance mismatch'. The File I/O
subsystem is not one of Squeak's best parts. It has very set ideas about file
paths :-(.

Squeak was conceived to be an environment in itself and not an application. So
saving and loading is like exporting and importing objects to/from a remote
file store. Object names will get mangled when saved on host file volumes. If
you switch directories between invocations, Squeak will not recover
gracefully.

Apologies for misunderstanding your original post,
Subbu