[Newbies] Setting up a squeak on a Ubuntu system

David Mitchell david.mitchell at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 17:42:15 UTC 2009

I use the one-click distributions to have a Squeak (or Pharo) that I
can move from Ubuntu, Windows, and Mac.

It includes a Squeak.sh (or Pharo.sh) that is as follows:

#!/bin/sh
APP=`dirname $0`
EXE="$APP/Contents/Linux686"
RES="$APP/Contents/Resources"

exec "$EXE/squeak" -plugins "$EXE" \
	-encoding latin1 \
	-vm-display-X11 -swapbtn  \
	"$RES/pharo.image"

Google 'one click squeak' or 'one click pharo' for more info.

The term one-click image is a misnomer, since the one-click
distribution is all about arranging the VM and plug-ins in a directory
structure that allows the Unix, Windows, and Mac VMs to coexist and
point to the same image and changes file.

Of course, the image and changes file can be swapped with your own.
Either edit the files that point to them or rename them.