[Newbies] Re: Building a remote countdown clock

Andy Burnett andy.burnett at knowinnovation.com
Fri Nov 6 21:46:38 UTC 2009

Herbert said

<<Some code:

Socket initializeNetwork  "Only once per image"
dst := Socket newUDP setPort: 1979.
src := Socket newUDP setPort: 2345.
buff := ByteArray new: 1026.
delay := Delay forMilliseconds: 10.
localhost := ByteArray withAll: { 192. 168. 42. 11 }.
received := nil.

rp := [[ received := dst receiveUDPDataInto: buff.
 received first  isZero ] whileTrue: [ delay wait ].
 WorldState addDeferredUIMessage: [ { buff. received } inspect ]] fork.

src sendUDPData: ( 'ctmame' , (String value: 10) , (String value: 162))
toHost: localhost port:  1979.

rp terminate.
src closeAndDestroy.
dst closeAndDestroy.

src := nil.
dst := nil.
buff := nil.
delay := nil.
rp := nil.

Smalltalk garbageCollect
Socket allInstances>>

That's great, thank you very much.  I have a couple of other questions that
sprang from using this code.
1. I couldn't get the WorldState addDeferredUIMessage: to do anything.  What
is supposed to happen?  I am running the latest Pharo build. The class
exists, and I didn't get a DNU, but I didn't get anything else either!

2. Out of curiosity, I tried used the NetNameResolver addressForName: method
as a way of getting a socket address  (instead of using the ByteArray.  I
tried this when nothing was working, and I noticed the method call in
several of the Socket methods.  However, Squeak gave me a DNU.  Is there a
simple way to enter host names using the NetNameResolver, or have I
completely misunderstood its function?

Cheers
Andy