[Newbies] Speed

John Worden worden.john at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 10:38:03 UTC 2009

Absolute beginner playing with smalltalk.  I have a simple program that
opens a number of text files, plays with data closes files and gives a count
of things in the files. (Its actually my Squeak version of the Cincom VW
Tutorial).  I have run it on Squeak, Pharo and Cuis images. What suprised me
was the difference in speeds.  I haven't done tried to time it (I should do
that or at least work out how to) but Squeak and Pharo take about the same
time whereas Cuis is significantly quicker. I know its a cut down image but
the difference is remarkable.  Is this to be expected?

John