[Newbies] Defining a binary message selector

Michael Haupt mhaupt at gmail.com
Sun Nov 15 19:34:40 UTC 2009

Hi again,

having re-read your message, here's the next blob. :-)

On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 8:02 PM, Andy Burnett
<andy.burnett at knowinnovation.com> wrote:
> After a bit of head scratching, I decided that '+' was probably a symbol,
> and that binary messages are probably limited to using symbols as selectors.

Yup, but they're rather called "special characters". Symbols are those
unique Strings that begin with a # character - and, as I wrote
earlier, all selectors are, internally, represented as Symbols.

What was the precise message that Squeak gave you when you tried to
implement +? It might be that replacing an existing implementation of
+ with another is prohibited, depending on the class you want to do it
in. (Number might well be an example of that.)

Best,

Michael