[Newbies] Re: You have reached the size limit of the changes file

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Tue Apr 6 04:53:03 UTC 2010

On 4/5/2010 9:12 PM, sergio_101 wrote:
>> What version of Squeak are you using? In Squeak 3.10 and 4.0 there is a 32MB
>> limit to the changes file which has been removed in 4.1 (in 4.1 the changes
>> file should be unlimited).
>

> hi andreas..
>
> i am about to ask a stupid question...
>
> where do i find the version of squeak i am running?

It's not a stupid question. Generally there is an "about this system" in
the desktop's help menu which will tell you what version you're running.
It might be a bit hard to find (which is why we've promoted it in 4.1).

> i downloaded the latest pharo:
>
> Pharo-1.0-10508-rc2
> Latest update: #10508

Ah, you're running Pharo. I'm not an expert on Pharo but I believe that
Pharo 1.0 still has the 32MB changes file limit. That means you'll have
to run "Smalltalk condenseChanges" to reduce the size of the changes
file. You'll want to make a backup copy of your image+changes before you
try that though, there have been some issues with that operation in the
past and I can't vouch for how well that'll work in Pharo. If it doesn't
you'll have to start with a "fresh" image and changes file.

Cheers,
   - Andreas