[Newbies] Re-newbie

Janko Mivšek janko.mivsek at eranova.si
Tue Dec 28 09:07:41 UTC 2010

Hi Aidan, welcome back!

Some answers follow:

On 28. 12. 2010 02:12, Aidan Gauland wrote:

> It's been over a year since I last used Squeak, so I have some new
> newbie questions (as well as some old ones that I never really found
> an answer to) that I have not been able to find an answer to on the
> web.
>
> 1) How do I use/manage ChangeSets effectively?  (I never really
>    understood them.)

Better start using Monticello for for managing your source, changesets
are actually hard to use. I use changesets in Squeak/Pharo only to
recover code changes after potential image crash.

> 2) Why has Tweak not replaced Morphic in Squeak?

I hope someone will answer that one.

> 3) In what ways is Pharo a fork and not just yet another Squeak image?

Pharo actually use the same VM, yes, so Pharo is fork only on image
level. Squeak and Pharo images also not differ too much yet. From end
user standpoint mostly on look&feel.

> 4) Should I use Cog or just stick with the official Squeak VM from
>    squeakvm.org

Only if your really need a speed, ue Cog at that time, otherwiser
rather start with official VM. One click images are the best bet. Cog
namelly still has some issues, so waiting a bit more is advisable.

> 5) Why is there a changes file if the image itself is modified?

Source of all code is in changes file, while in image there are aonly
pointers to the last version of each class/method.

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek