[Newbies] mucking around in .changes file on linux/ubuntu

Jerome Peace peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 14 06:26:13 UTC 2010

Hi all,

At some point in making and finding bugs, I am left with having to pick up pieces. On my mac I could always just read the whole changes file into a text editor and extract manually the tail bit.

Having moved on to Ubuntu 8.04 my tools don't seem to match my needs.

The Gedit editor refuses to read the text because it is in a format it can't decode. It tries Utf-8 and latin1.

The Emacs editor will gladly read in the file but because the line endings are cr rather than crlf I get a file all on one line.

My emacs skills are rusty so I've not figured out what to do next.

Is there anyone out there who has deal with changes files and linux editors? What might work most elegantly or robustly?