[Newbies] Teaching Smalltalk

Lawson English lenglish5 at cox.net
Tue May 4 15:03:13 UTC 2010

On 5/3/10 9:53 PM, Samuel Williams wrote:
> Thanks John.
>
> I don't know Smalltalk syntax, so I can't make the adjustments myself. It isn't that I don't understand functional programming concepts.
>
> Kind regards,
> Samuel

It seems to me that for a brief representative example, clarity, as long
as it isn't contrived, is more important than making sure you have the
shortest example using the best syntax.

Also, an important Smalltalk strength is in the "liveness" of its
objects. You mention that Smalltalk is highly productive, but it might
be good to mention that for this reason, Smalltalk has been used to
develop or refine a remarkable number of concepts and techniques used in
computer programming, starting with the term "object oriented
programming" itself, and including graphical user interfaces, many of
the most important design patterns, Unit Testing, etc.

Lawson