[Newbies] How do I diff two images?

David Mitchell david.mitchell at gmail.com
Sat May 22 13:59:15 UTC 2010

People have certainly built tools that do image archeology but they
have tended to be more academic than practical.

Outside of Squeak, imagine writing a tool to look at two WMware VMDK
files onto which two different people had installed Windows, Firefox,
and various other tools. It might be theoretically possible to write a
program that would look at two VMDKs and tell you about the different
versions of programs that are installed, but it is practically very
difficult. It would be much easier to start both machines on the
network and have them inventory their programs and then compare.

If you are interested in having two (running) Squeaks talk to one
another, you might want to look at Magma. Magma can store just about
any Squeak object in an object database that multiple Squeaks can
connect.

Magma's remote framework can be used outside of Magma. It is available
as "Ma client server" See this page for details and usage:

http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2978