[Newbies] Any Beginner Introduction on Squeak Usage

K. K. Subramaniam kksubbu.ml at gmail.com
Fri Feb 11 15:32:35 UTC 2011

On Friday 11 Feb 2011 8:20:03 am ericgao wrote:
> Have used Squeak for some days, but it seems I still don't have very clear
> idea on how to use Squeak for develop, only know to open class browser to
> type in code and run in workspace and debug step by step, any introduction
> on other function of Squeak? and any API reference for Squeak development
> environment?
For programming tools like Workspace
   http://www.squeakbyexample.org
For simple examples - Terse Guide to Squeak at
   http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5699
For Morphic GUI  - John Maloney's
  http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr/FreeBooks/CollectiveNBlueBook/morphic.final.pdf

Search past archives of beginner's list for other recommendations.

> How could a create a fresh image for Squeak developement?
Open an existing image, bring up the world menu and do a "save as" under a new
name.

> And after clicking on create a new project, squeak go to a grey place, how
> could I get back? Only i could do is closing the Squeak....
The grey sheet is your "world". When you start Squeak for the first time, you
are shown a blank project. You add code (changeset) to the world by
programming using Workspace or Class Browser. Usually the first step is to give
a name to the project.

     Project current renameTo: 'Parrot'

When a new project is created, the parent project carries a thumbnail picture
of the new project. If you jump back to the parent from the Projects menu, you
can see this thumbnail. Click on this to re-enter it or press middle button to
get a menu to remove ("expunge") just the thumbnail or thumbnail along with
its attached project object.

You can create many projects and carry them in Squeak image itself. or you can
export ("save" or "publish") it to a file or remote server and import ("load")
it later.

Watch out for beginner's trap - The parent only contains a reference to the
new project object but not the whole project object. Saving the parent does
not save the new project.

HTH .. Subbu