[Newbies] Newbie stuck on page 43 of SBE getting syntax error trying to run SBEGame (Quinto)

Chris Cunnington smalltalktelevision at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 19:11:37 UTC 2012

On 12-08-22 2:58 PM, dav0 wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> Your method of loading the SBE-Quinto repository from the URL and
> running it that way seems to work fine, so does this mean I introduced
> the syntax error myself?  Or does this mean that the fact that I am
> using a different repository has something to do with why it works
> this way?
>
> I am still a little too green to figure out where I went wrong.
>  Everything was working up until this point.
>
> Thanks
>
> Dave
>
> On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 2:29 PM, Chris Cunnington
> <smalltalktelevision at gmail.com <mailto:smalltalktelevision at gmail.com>>
> wrote:
>
>     On 12-08-22 2:17 PM, dav0 wrote:
>>     Hi, Squeak is really cool so far, but I have finally hit a snag I
>>     can't seem to figure out, and I think it may have something to do
>>     with the fact that I am attempting to run the SBE on a slightly
>>     newer version of Squeak maybe?
>>
>>     I am on page 43 of the SBE book and I get the following syntax
>>     error when I follow this instruction:
>>
>>     "In a workspace, type SBEGame new openInWorld and do it ."
>>
>>     Thanks!
>>
>>     -dav0
>>
>>     ---------- Syntax Error (Popup window) ------------------
>>
>>     HandMorph Morphic-Kernel he
>>
>>     ----------
>>
>>     he user wants it and not just aligned with the cliprect"
>>
>>     (patternForm isForm) ifFalse: [
>>     "patternForm is a Pattern or Color; just Nothing more expected
>>     ->use it as a mask for BitBlt"
>>     ^ aPort fill: aPort clipRect fillColor: patternForm rule: Form over].
>>
>>     "do it iteratively"
>>     targetBox _ aPort clipRect.
>>     patternBox _ patternForm boundingBox.
>>     savedMap _ aPort colorMap.
>>     aPort sourceForm: patternForm;
>>     fillColor: nil;
>>     combinationRule: Form paint;
>>     sourceRect: (0 at 0 extent: patternBox extent);
>>     colorMap: (patternForm colormapIfNeededFor: aPort destForm).
>>     top _ (targetBox top truncateTo: patternBox height) + offset y.
>>     left _  (targetBox left truncateTo: patternBox width) + offset x.
>>
>>     left to: (targetBox right - 1) by: patternBox width do:
>>     [:x | top to: (targetBox bottom - 1) by: patternBox height do:
>>     [:y | aPort destOrigin: x at y; copyBits]].
>>     aPort colorMap: savedMap.

>     When I go to http://www.squeaksource.com/SqueakByExample I see
>     that the example code for the book is available.
>
>     I click on Tools in Squeak and select MonticelloBrowser. I then
>     hit AddRepository, click HTTP, and then add SqueakByExample after
>     http://www.squeaksource.com in location:. I accept and close the
>     window. Click Open. In the new window click SBE-Quinto on the
>     left. Then press Load.
>
>     Now open a Workspace. Type:
>
>     SBEGame new openInWorld
>
>     highlight it and do it. Then you'll see the game.
>     This was in a 4.4 alpha build number #12186, which is very recent.
> [...]
If you follow the book, the next paragraph on pg. 43 says:

The game will open, and you should be able to click on the cells and see
how it works.

Well, so much for theory. . . When you click on a cell, a notifier
window called the PreDebugWindow window appears with an error message!
As depicted in Figure 2.12, it says MessageNotUnderstood:
SBEGame»toggleState.

So I'm not sure it's supposed to work at that point. I think it's making
a point about the Debugger or something.

Incidentally I don't know why it says "and do it", as "new openInWorld"
seems to be enough.

You have another repository? OK.

At any rate this version seems to work alright. I always prefer to use a
working example and see how it works. I wouldn't sweat the details to
much. It sounds like you're getting the general idea of things.

HTH,
Chris

Squeak by Example