[Newbies] status of the 'mvc' environment?

Casey Ransberger casey.obrien.r at gmail.com
Sat Sep 6 04:14:25 UTC 2014

Woot! I can't answer your question, but I do have a strong interest in
being able to unload the Morphic environment. In something like a web
server, Morphic just wastes a lot of CPU cycles, and MVC is much less
expensive (as we've seen on lower end machines like the Raspberry Pi,) so
it would be fantastic to elevate it to its former glory as a complete
solution to the user interface of applications which do not require the
flexibility of the Morphic environment, like the system browser.

Unfortunately, while I have plenty of experience with the MVC "pattern," I
have only really just sat in awe of how fast Squeak runs inside an MVC
project. Having someone around who's returning after 14 years of wandering
might be just what I need to make myself useful in this regard. I know that
David Lewis is also interested in seeing the MVC system a viable option for
development again (IIRC he fixed some serious problems with the debugger,)
and I imagine that at least some of the Seaside folks would love to drop
the overhead of Morphic from their servers.

I'm moving this conversation to squeak-dev, as it's more about remodelling
and redecorating a part of the core of Squeak and less about using it in
general. If you aren't subscribed there, you should be, or you'll end up in
the moderator's queue, which can take a (relatively) longish time to turn
around.

If the community doesn't take the bait, feel free to contact me offline.
Maybe there's a common point of interest and we can team up.

--Casey Ransberger