[Newbies] How do I print?

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Mon Aug 24 00:20:13 UTC 2015

On Sun, Aug 23, 2015 at 04:43:12PM -0700, Kirk Fraser wrote:
> Several different things are polymorphically called print.  How do I send
> text to a peripheral printer?  I found the menu item "Send contents to
> printer" and it produced walkback which says
> "MessageNotUnderstood: SmalltalkEditor>sendContentsToPrinter".  Printer
> setup similarly failed yet after the OS supplied the customary sound that
> the printer was hooked up.
>
> This occurred in Squeak 4.5 under Windows 7.  What would solve the problem
> best?  Upgrading Squeak?  Getting a different printer? Going back to
> Digitalk Smalltalk/V and a dot matrix ribbon printer where it did work
> years ago?

Hi Kirk,

That MessageNotUnderstood is a bug for sure. I'm surprised nobody spotted
the MNU until now; I suspect that it has been broken for quite a while.

I'm afraid that this is negected functionality. As a workaround, there are
various ways to export to files which can then be printed. The contents of
a workspace can be exported to a text file, and any morph can exported in
various ways (included postscript) by means of the tools button in morph
halo menus (yellow click on any morph).

Dave