[Newbies] steam controller and Etoys

Vicki S otadini at outlook.com
Wed Dec 7 00:45:31 UTC 2016

Hi. I tried signing up for the Squeakland mailing list but I'm not sure
that worked. I was fiddling around with Etoys yesterday and remembered
getting an Xbox 360 controller working with the joystick morph in
Windows. So I tried out my Steam controller from Valve. I couldn't
connect it to the morph but Windows 10 views it as a usb keyboard/mouse
and it worked fine with the Etoys To Go app even without Steam running.
Both the toggle and the left touch pad send arrow key input that the key
press morph can capture. I am not sure if the controller functions in
Windows without Steam installed but I wasn't up for the kerfuffle
uninstalling Steam would cause just to find out. Unfortunately Steam
isn't the kind of application young children should have installed but I
thought it was cool that there's another input device out there that
works well with Etoys. I tried out Ubuntu too but I haven't used the
controller in Ubuntu for a while and I guess an update overwrote a
configuration file because the wireless dongle wouldn't work. Plugging
the controller in with a micro usb cord worked without Steam running but
strangely lsusb still didn't detect it and I couldn't connect it to the
joystick morph. Mouse and keyboard input was fine however. There may be
an open source standalone Linux driver available but again I don't know
if that is necessary. Of course to customize controller output
applications must be launched from Steam. That works for Etoys as well.

I am a hobbyist/enthusiast with an interest in educational software.
Squeak has become my favourite environment for prototyping and
experimenting and I much prefer Etoys to Scratch. Some of the issues I
have with Etoys have been already been expressed by others so I am
curious if any new versions are in the pipeline.

Thanks

Vicki