[Newbies] Hi squeak mailing list

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Dec 10 15:21:31 UTC 2016

Hi Owen,

On Sat, Dec 10, 2016 at 10:37:33PM +0800, blubee blubeeme wrote:
> Hello
>
> I recently came across Alan Kay's talks on youtube, then that lead me to
> Dan Ingalls and looking at smalltalk, squeak and object oriented
> programming as thought up by Alan Kay in the 1960s.

Welcome!

> I wonder how come this type of computing isn't the mainstream. We've seen
> other OS pop up since then that were a lot less capable that got some
> mainstream success.

We are not very good at mainstream marketing around here. But at least you can
buy the t-shirt now:

https://shop.spreadshirt.com/Squeak

> It seems like this type of computing gets put in the kiddy corner and most
> people don't know about it or those who do kinda use it and sometimes
> people just don't seem to get it.
>
> Has anyone ever though about making a platform where squeak is customized
> to the hardware, something like android, iphone, bb10 and qnx, etc..

Squeak people are and have been involved in all sorts of projects like this.
But I have to add that one of the remarkable things about Squeak is its
ability to run identically on a wide range of platforms, regardless of hardware
and operating system.

> Also if this is the wrong mailing list, can you point me at the correct
> mailing list for this discussion.

This is the right place to get acquainted. When you have more in-depth
questions, you will probably want to ask on the squeak-dev list.

Dave