[Newbies] Question about Linux Performance

Jeremy Landry hakyoku at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 20:01:20 UTC 2018

I'm using Etoys 5 in Linux, doing some testing, and am actually impressed
with the performance except for one minor quibble and am curious if there's
a way to mitigate it with a change to a value in a class or a change in the
linux environment and am not even sure where to begin looking nor what to
look for.

Basically, graphical performance/frame rate, whether in 'higherPerformance'
or not will go about half the speed unless the mouse or keyboard are
actively giving input into Etoys.  I.e. setting a box to move around the
screen at 50ticks will move at 25 or less if there is no active input from
the mouse, but as soon as the mouse starts moving, then the speed
increases.  This is verified using the Frame Rate Counter object.  Even in
high performance, it will drop down to 25fps when input is idle and pop up
to 200fps when the mouse is moving.

Thanks for any help with this, I'm hoping there's some setting in or out of
etoys to just get a more steady feedback loop that doesn't depend on the
input being active.