[Newbies] Squeak Learn Programing with Robots

Robert Kuropkat robert at kuropkat.com
Mon Mar 4 20:19:50 UTC 2019

On Mon, 4 Mar 2019 12:54:48 -0500
  "David T. Lewis" <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 03, 2019 at 07:42:29PM -0500, Robert
>Kuropkat wrote:
>> On Sun, 2019-03-03 at 13:47 -0500, David T. Lewis wrote:
>>goes with the
>>teach a class
>>image does not
>> >
>> > Hi Robert,
>> >
>> > I do not remember anyone mentioning an update to the
>>image, so I
>> > suspect
>> > that the original image that came with the book would
>>be the one to
>> > use.
>> >
>> > The most recent VMs for Squeak will probably not run
>>an image from
>> > that
>> > era, but if you are using Linux for the class, it will
>>not be
>> > difficult
>> > to provide a compatible VM.
>> >
>> > If the Ready.image is available for download, could
>>you please give a
>> > link to the download site? I would be happy to take a
>>look at it and
>> > suggest a suitable VM for running that image.
>> >
>> > Dave
>> >

>> Dave,
>>
>> I retrieved the download from here:
>>https://github.com/apress/squeak  I
>> grabbed the ReadyPC-05052005.zip.  It worked fine on
>>Linux using the
>> latest Squeak v3.  It would not work in v4 or v5.  I was
>>also planning
>> to use Squeak By Example (which I believe is v4 era) as
>>well as other,
>> more modern examples for a beginner class.  Version 3, 4
>>and 5 are all
>> available for Windows, Mac and Linux.  I **could** have
>>students
>> install all three versions (I did that on Linux) but was
>>kind of hoping
>> to avoid that if it was possible to port these images to
>>v5.
>>
>> The ReadyPC zip file contains the following:
>>
>> luth.frm  Ready.changes  Ready.image  spider.frm
>> Squeak.exe  SqueakV3.
>> sources
>
> Hi Robert,
>
> As far as I am aware, the images that go with these
>books are not being
> actively updated for newer versions of Squeak. But aside
>from the inconvenience
> of installing multiple versions, there should be nothing
>wrong with using
> those images exactly as they are. They should work fine,
>and by using the
> old images you can be more confident that the systems
>will work as
> described in the books.
>
> I downloaded the zip for Ready.image, and the image
>seems to work fine with
> the interpreter VM that I have installed on my Linux PC.
>This is a VM
> that I compiled from latest sources, so I am confident
>that if the
> VMs that you are using with the book distributions do
>not work properly,
> [...]

David,

You make a solid point about sticking with the version of
Squeak the image was made for.  So for the purpose of the
class, I may well do so.  Installing and running different
versions of Squeak might be a lesson in itself.

However, did I understand correctly that you were able to
use the Ready.image with Squeak v5-ish?  If so, that means
I'm doing something wrong, so would love to get educated
on that issue.

Robert Kuropkat