[Newbies] Multi user Squeak image via Croquet

Yoshiki Ohshima Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org
Tue Aug 2 17:53:17 UTC 2022

Hi

(I am working on a few croquet.io projects.) Trying to run the current way
of how Squeak works and making it "croquetified" has some challenges. One
is that a Squeak image typically uses 50MB, 100MB, or more memory, and that
means that the "snapshots" that Croquet takes and sends over the network
now and then can be quite expensive. (At the same time, as we know, most of
the contents in an image is read only; we can imagine to have a different
image structure where the read only part is separate and only the new stuff
is exchanged.)

Another issue is to ensure determinism. There may not be too many issues
around it, as the old Squeak based Croquet has shown; but the current
Morphic itself probably does not work out of the box in this regard.

An alternative approach is to have a different execution engine, or a
translator from Smalltalk to JavaScript. I actually gave a talk recently on
that idea (and other things):

https://youtu.be/E3og3l5kKes?t=1353

If you enable English subtitles on YouTube, you can get the gist of what I
was talking about. The implementation of it is available here:

https://github.com/yoshikiohshima/smallroom

On Tue, Aug 2, 2022 at 5:30 AM Jiri R. <jiriq at icloud.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The is croquet.io which allows "multiple users to work or play together
> within a single shared distributed environment". I wonder whether it is
> possible to take a squeak image and make it *that* single shared
> distributed environment. So multiple users would have some sort of UI (with
> system browser, workspaces, ..) and be able to work on a single underlining
> model (the squeak image).
>
> Jiri

-- Yoshiki