[Box-Admins] Fwd: 85.10.195.197 [Fwd: [REF#: 1257]: To whom it may concern]

Ken Causey ken at kencausey.com
Wed Feb 4 16:29:00 UTC 2009

Well, it turns out that there was really something to this:

Yesterday I kept looking and I found a connection from our system to the
IRC server deathy mentioned in a seperate email.  The process making the
connection was a bash process, and this is all I could tell from the
output of ps.  I killed it, the connection went away.  This was fairly
late in the day so I more or less left it at that.

I checked again this morning and found the process back again.  I killed
it again, but this time I checked back every few minutes.  It took only
a few minutes and it reappeared.  Huh.  crontab -l (for root) showed
why.  I commented out the crontab entry and killed the process again.
As of now it has not reappeared.  I left the commented out crontab entry
and it points to stuff in /usr/local/games/ which I have left for now.
I'm examining it and I welcome examination from others.  At the moment
it looks like this stuff was installed around Oct 31st, but that's just
a quick guess.  I don't know much yet, I don't even know if there is
other stuff we should be looking for.

Relatedly, when we had trouble with the server in October we temporarily
set a rather easy root password.  I meant to change it and let everyone
relevant know, I thought I did.  But I can't find a record of doing so.
Can anyone confirm that we changed it or not?  In any case perhaps we
should change it again.

Ken