[Box-Admins] squeaksource.com future

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Tue May 14 15:53:11 UTC 2013

On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 04:38:55PM +0200, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> On 2013-05-14, at 13:53, "David T. Lewis" <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:

> >> No, I mean taking over the squeaksource.com server itself.
> >>

> > Is that an option? I'd be all for it.
>
> I think we can, and we should. The folks at the University of Berne have very generously kept it running, but they would be happy if we relieved them of this responsibility.
>
> > I have been holding off on moving any of my projects from SqueakSource
> > because I don't know where to put them. I'm not very confident in
> > SmalltalkHub because I have not heard anything to suggest that it will
> > be managed better than the system it replaces. It also does not seem
> > to work behind a corporate firewall with Internet Explorer, not an
> > encouraging sign. SS3 seems to be fine but I don't know if it's intended
> > to be a long term solution.
> >
> > source.squeak.org is reliable and problem free. If we could have SqueakSource
> > managed in a similar manner it would be great.
> >
> > For the record: I really do appreciate the service that SqueakSource has
> > provided to the community over the years, including the efforts of the
> > volunteers who have done the support work for it.
> >
> > Dave
>

> The Squeak Oversight Board has been in contact with Oscar Nierstrasz's group at the Uni of Berne. At the moment Fabrizio Perin is maintaining the server. Our last message exchange was in December 2012. I meant to follow up on that, but I should admit that I don't have the time to actually do it.
>
> Our short-term plan was to simply move the whole thing over to one of our own servers, switch the DNS record, and take it from there.
>
> Would someone have time to make that happen?
>
> - Bert -

I don't have much free time right now, so I would be happy if someone else
was to volunteer. On the other hand, moving SqueakSource to one of our boxes
might turn out to be less work than moving all of my projects from SqueakSource
over to something else, so I might be able to convince myself to take it on ;-)

Any other volunteers?