[Box-Admins] box2:/var/www/files permissions update

Ken Causey ken at kencausey.com
Tue Feb 25 19:29:07 UTC 2014

On 02/25/2014 01:22 PM, Chris Muller wrote:
> I was unable to create a "4.5" directory as the "updates" user on
> box2.  Owner and Group permission for the "files" directory (rwxr x r
> x) belonged to "website".
>
> In fact, website does not need write access, just read.  "updates"
> needs write access.
>
> So I gave ownership of "files" to the "updates" user.  website still has group.
>
>   - Chris

While it can certainly be changed the management of the FTP site aka
Files was assigned to the webteam which had control of the website
account and could divvy out access to team members as needed.  When this
failed, anyone with access to the root account (now sudo access) can
always step in.

The practice in the past was for someone with either website or
superuser access to create a new directory for the release and give
updates write access to it.