[Box-Admins] Re: server update

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 20:58:03 UTC 2016

Hi Levente,

>> After fixing a bug that let the new server grow to 2.5GB RAM, it is
>> now stable at 500MB RAM.  I also discovered I can't apply patches live
>> and save the image, because that means its saved with the RFB server
>> running.
>

> Is that a problem? Will you start the RFB server using the USR2 signal?

The RFB server is started upon image start (accepting only local
connections).  I like your idea, but it starts to become a cumbersome
process if one must 1) forward the port, then 2) send a kill signal,
then 3) open their VNC viewer to do the work, THEN 4) remember to do
some other step to ensure they stop the RFB server..    Probably, the
last step would be forgotten and we're right back to it running 24x7..

>> This large bulk load uncovered a bug when using Magma in direct-mode
>> since Eliot fixed the process-scheduling to not cycle through
>> equal-level processes by default -- Magma's flush-to-disk process was
>> at equal priority and so it wasn't getting flushed!  Spur really needs
>> a way to cap its memory allocation like the old VM's had, so something
>> like that would not cause problems for other processes on the server..
>>
>> Disk space is so tight, I'll have to log in to delete unneeded commit
>> log files to avoid us running out.  Hopefully Rackspace can afford us
>> a bigger disk.
>

> There's still more than 16 GB of space left. Some servers have less than
> that. :)

Our existing repository is currently 17GB worth of mcz's and the Magma
copy may need about the same by the bulk-load is done..