[Box-Admins] source.squeak.org upgrade

Chris Muller ma.chris.m at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 18:38:57 UTC 2016

Hi Levente and David (cc:box-admins).  I wanted to see if you have any
suggestions or feedback for my plan to upgrade the our
source.squeak.org SqueakSource instance.  My goals are:

    - upgrade the image to latest trunk, and VM to latest 32-bit Spur.
    - get it out of the chroot environment and running in the normal
environment on box4
    - restore the 'mc history' and 'mc origin' functions in the image,
permanently this time
    - ability to connect to the server image via RFB instead of having
to kill and restart it
    - to improve the speed, scalability and reliability

As you know, our SqueakSource codebase is self-managed at
http://source.squeak.org/ss.  I'm currently testing the code via my
own personal SqueakSource server on my LAN with a new subclass of
SSStorage, called SSCompositeStorage.  The CompositeStorage lets us
have multiple storage back-ends attached to one server.  This allows
two new intermediate configurations between a 100% filesystem-only
backend and a 100% Magma-only backend:

    #filesystemThenMagma -- reads from the filesystem, foreground
saves to the filesystem, background saves to Magma

    #magmaThenFilesystem -- reads from Magma, foreground saves to
Magma, background saves to the filesystem.

I think the former is more conservative while the latter should be
better-performing (although I still plan to do some loading
benchmarks).  For either configuration, the Magma component enables
the history on MCDefinitions.

The MagmaSession running inside the server image will require a larger
memory footprint for the image.

What do you think?

Thanks,
  Chris