[Box-Admins] squeaksource.com

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Mar 30 23:01:30 UTC 2017

On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 01:57:25PM -0500, Chris Muller wrote:

> Squeaksource is important.  Is there any reason not to update the
> image and code ASAP?

Hi Chris,

I have not had much time to look at this, but can you say anything about what
is required to read the serialized repository from the old image into an up to
date SqueakSource image? I think I remember you saying that you had used Magma
serializer to do this, but I don't know what issues may have been involved.

I have tried generating a new data.obj from the current squeaksource.com image,
then loading it into Squeak 4.6 or a 32-bit Squeak 5.0, but ReferenceStream
deserializing is failing fairly early in the load. The data.obj is fine, because
I can reload it into the original image. But I am not able to load it into
either the V3 or Spur 32 bit images with newer SqueakSource package, so I am
suspecting that this may be something to do with class changes in the SqueakSource
package. I can probably figure it out, but I thought I should ask you first
before I spend much time debugging. Does any of this ring a bell for you?

Thanks!