[Box-Admins] [squeak-dev] Ideas for web hosting for squeak.org?

Ron Teitelbaum ron at usmedrec.com
Wed Oct 4 21:16:15 UTC 2017

On Wed, Oct 4, 2017 at 4:48 PM, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:

> > On 04-10-2017, at 1:40 PM, Ron Teitelbaum <ron at usmedrec.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hey Tim,

<snip/>

The Rackspace charges are shown as an incredible $560/month, which seems
> quite insane. I guess if you’re donating you can put whatever number you
> like and use that on your tax forms…

That is insane!  We run a lot of servers at AWS and the most expensive one
is around $2500 a year.

> > What are the server requirements?  CPU, Disk Space, Operating System?
> How much are the normal fees for Rackspace?
>
> We need to get the box admins and web teams to tell us about that.

I added Box Admins.  I took this off the public list so we could disucss it
privately.

Hello Box Admins,

Can you let me know if this would be good enough?

https://aws.amazon.com/ec2/instance-types/
vCPU Memory (GiB)  Storage (GB) Networking Performance Physical Processor Clock
Speed (GHz) Intel AVX† <https://aws.amazon.com/ec2/instance-types/#intel> Intel
AVX2† Intel Turbo <https://aws.amazon.com/ec2/instance-types/#intel> EBS
OPT  <https://aws.amazon.com/ec2/instance-types/#ebs> Enhanced Networking†
c3.large 2 3.75 2 x 16 SSD Moderate Intel Xeon E5-2680 v2 2.8 Yes - Yes -
Yes
We would add extra disk drive space so would need to know how much and what
OS is required.  I normally run on CentOS 6.7 but could also do Ubuntu if
for some reason that would be better.

 Ron