[Cryptography Team] New Members

Steven Elkins sgelkins at gmail.com
Wed Oct 4 19:38:42 UTC 2006

On 10/3/06, Ron Teitelbaum <Ron at usmedrec.com> wrote:

> I see we have a few new members.  If you feel so inclined please introduce
> yourself and let the team know what areas you are interested in.  This team
> is small so we try to encourage as much participation as possible.

Hi Ron,

First, thanks to you and the other members of the Cryptography team.

I'm interested in the pure Smalltalk solution first, just because I
think it's the path of least resistance.  Maybe I'm wrong.  :)  I
found a load order in another cryptography list message, downloaded
the latest version of everything from SqueakSource, and started

Cryptography-Core-rww.17.mcz
    leaves CryptographyError in Undeclared
Cryptography-SHA1-rww.8.mcz
Cryptography-MD5-cmm.2.mcz
Cryptography-DES-hmm.3.mcz
    leaves interpreterProxy in Undeclared
Cryptography-SHA256-RJT.5.mczCryptographyBase-hmm.18.mcz
    defines CrytographyError
Cryptography-ElGamal-cmm.3.mcz
Cryptography-RSA-rww.5.mcz
Cryptography-Rijndael-RJT.7.mcz
Cryptography-ASN1-RJT.17.mcz
Cryptography-RC4-rww.3.mcz
Cryptography-DSA-rww.3.mcz
Cryptography-X509-rww.21.mcz
Cryptography-SSL-rww.93.mcz

SSLCipherSuite subclass: #TLSNothing more expected
->_DHE_DSS_WITH_3DES_EDE_CBC_SHA
    instanceVariableNames: ''
    classVariableNames: ''
    poolDictionaries: ''

Probably the underscores.  :)  I was using an untouched 3.9g-7061 on
Mac OS X when I saw this.  Should I use another image?  Change some
preferences?  File something else in first?  Read every bit of the
cryptography list archives?  Load in some other way?

Load in some other way.  I restarted the same image and installed
Cryptography 0.3 from SqueakMap.  No underscore problem but it still
leaves #interpreterProxy in Undeclared.  Selected Cryptography-ASN1
and Cryptography-Tests in the Test Runner.  Errors.  Loaded...

    Cryptography-DES-hmm.3.mcz

...and all but 2 of 23 passed, an assertion failure in
CryptoTest>>testDSASigningAndVerifying and an error,
MessageNotUnderstood (#unsignedLongAt:bigEndian) in the send chain
that starts with encryptBlock: in CryptoTest>>testDES2.

I'll be happy to provide more information if you want, load other
versions of whatever, or perform other experiments, time permitting of
course.

Keep up the good work,
Steve

--
How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment
before starting to improve the world.       -- Anne Frank