[Cryptography Team] Re: [squeak-dev] Crypto Plugins on Cog

Levente Uzonyi leves at elte.hu
Tue Sep 7 06:30:04 UTC 2010

On Sun, 5 Sep 2010, Rob Withers wrote:

> I did some rework so that all plugins build on Cog.  This mainly entailed
> pulling MD5Plugin from a previous version and renaming several methods
> implemented with the same name in MD5Plugin and SHA256Plugin.  The version is

What was the point of renaming those methods? In MD5Plugin those methods
are generated as the category and the method comment states. So renaming
them without changing the code that generates those methods is not a good
idea.
Also the codegenerator should be updated a bit. It should generate code
for both litte- and big-endian machines and the C compiler should decide
which method to use based on the platform, so the C code can be shared.
The current code in the package is generated for 32-bit little-endian
machines (it may work for 64-bit but that has to be checked).

> the latest with 'oscog' as the initials.

I think that the plugin code (Smalltalk) should be the same for SqueakVM
and CogVM, using the non-pragma declarations.

Levente