[Cryptography Team] Re: Cryptography Digest, Vol 40, Issue 1

Paul DeBruicker pdebruic at gmail.com
Wed May 4 14:18:04 UTC 2011

On 05/04/2011 08:00 AM, cryptography-request at lists.squeakfoundation.org
wrote:
> Message: 2
> Date: Tue, 3 May 2011 19:47:11 -0400
> From: "Ron Teitelbaum"<ron at usmedrec.com>
> Subject: RE: [Cryptography Team] Blowfish&  Bcrypt in Smalltalk +
> 	accessing	crypt(3) through FFI.
> To: "'Cryptography Team Development List'"
> 	<cryptography at lists.squeakfoundation.org>
>
> Hi Germán and Paul,
>
> I apologize too.  I missed the request for Paul to be added.  Paul I have
> added you as a developer on Cryptography.
>
> Germán would you like to be an admin on the group?
>
> Please let me know if you need anything else.
>
> Ron Teitelbaum
> Cryptography Team Leader

After not hearing back the other day I went ahead and made a Blowfish
and PasswordHashing repository on SqueakSource just to get it out there.
  I'm happy to move everything (or have it moved) to the crypto library.

The links are

http://www.squeaksource.com/Blowfish

and

http://www.squeaksource.com/PasswordHashing

The PasswordHashing package has my flawed bcrypt Smalltalk
implementation and also FFI dependent classes that access crypt(3) and
libxcrypt on linux.  The FFI classes work fine.

If anyone wants to look into speeding up the Smalltalk bcrypt
implementation (I think my slow Blowfish implementation is the problem)
I'd be happy to sort out why its inaccurate.  I just don't have the
interest to look for the speed ups at this time.

Thanks

Paul DeBruicker