[Elections] Checking in / next steps

Daniel Vainsencher daniel.vainsencher at gmail.com
Sun Jan 15 18:14:34 CET 2006

Many are stating it, but do you (or someone else) mind actually
*arguing* why the elections are an urgent priority for this team?

As I see it, Squeak has managed reasonably well with unelected
semi-officials. We all seem to agree that we now want actual-official,
in the sense that they actually represent the community. Sure. But where
exactly is the urgency? I don't see anything bad happening if the
elections happen in two months time, instead of on the 15th.

However, there are several reasons to invest time (a couple of months,
not a year) in having smooth tools for voting (including on elections):
1. If its smoother, more people will participate.
2. A good system (especially in the sense of using good tallying
algorithm) will be more trusted by people, therefore making any
elections done be more meaningful.
3. A fully automated system will allow any voter in the community to
raise issues, rather than just the officials that can do the required
manual system in a non-automated system.
4. Whatever system we come up with should be tested in production on
non-critical decisions (web site layout, whatever) before it is used to
decide elections that give people official positions that we are not
used to having in the community.
5. An election is a part in a system. What are we electing people for?
what decisions can the elected make beyond others? for how long are they
elected? holding an election without considering these questions is
meaningless. We will need discussions of this on squeak-dev (even if
guided by some proposals from this team), and we will then need to
decide on one of them.

This is the most important point - we need to make the whole system one
that the community is happy with, not just the list of people. This will
not happen on a deadline just because that's what fits some preconceived
plan.

You're right - our goal is not building tools. And in my opinion, our
goal is also not "to have an election". Our goal should be social, and
about involving the community.

Daniel