[Elections] A simple SqF board elections solution using SqP

Cees De Groot cdegroot at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 19:45:43 CET 2006

On 1/11/06, Masashi UMEZAWA <masashi.umezawa at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think it is reasonable to use SqP list for voters. However, most
> of Japanese Squeakers do not see the SqP site so often, because of the
> language barriers. They simply prefer Squeak-ja mailing list.

How big is the Squeak-ja subscriber list these days, anyway?

> Voting should be open to everyone, so I think it is important to achieve
> some user-friendliness in registration.

The simplest thing that could possibly work in that case is where all
that's needed is email verification. The whole UI could consist of:
- Webpage 1: you enter your email address and your vote(s);
- System sends confirmation mail. As soon as you confirm, the vote is
registered (split up - one file with email addrs, one file with
anonymous votes);
- Webpage 2: displayed after the closing day of elections: all mail
addresses that voted. So that people can complain if there are too
many fake or strange mail addresses. 5-10% complaints and the vote is
declared invalid (and we'll have to think of something else ;));
- Webpage 3: displayed when the complaints period is over, the
election results.
Such a system, at the very least, would be way easier to translate
than anything based on SqP (and thus reusing current parts of SqP,
which is not easily translatable because it has a lot of text and you
really want to explain someone the whole story...).