[Elections] Re: A concrete proposal for registering votersandconducting the elections

Daniel Vainsencher daniel.vainsencher at gmail.com
Sun Jan 15 22:13:33 CET 2006

Of the concerns (things we don't know) stated below, I am even a little
worried only by the last. People might decide not to vote, that's true.
However, even if few vote the first time, is that a reason to stop
running the votes? no, just a reason to improve the system, and
advertise more, and give it a few more shots. And improving the system
is an option only if we have access to the code.

So I think there are still good reasons to develop a voting system,
though anyone taking it on should be aware that we have an alternative.

About the other concerns - Condorcet is hardly experimental, its been a
subject of research of many years. We can modify the voters set,
candidates set, and nomination system regardless of the system (since
we're not specing much work into any of those anyway...). We have a
demonstration by Debian that electing a leader using a general decision
mechanism is viable. CIVS demonstrates that multiple winners are
certainly a possibility with Condorcet.

In short, I feel we're wasting time here. If people decide that holding
a vote on a specific date is crucial, and there is not alternative ready
by then, I won't object to the use of CIVS, it is not a bad alternative.
Besides that - anyone minds if I ask for volunteers to implement the
voting system as proposed on minnow?

If people actually support doing this, I'll make the request come from
the elections team.

Daniel