What should be in the next release.

Bryce Kampjes bryce at kampjes.demon.co.uk
Tue Nov 8 23:40:03 CET 2005

The big question is whether to work on blocks next. Out of the the
four key missing features blocks are the most disruptive.  I'll have
to create my own context objects which is a major but small change to
the interpreter. It will also make the Exupery shutdown code more
important because an unmodified VM will not understand these new
context objects and require image support code to deal with compiled
contexts (say for debugging).

The top four items are:
 * blocks
 * super sends
 * new
 * integration (making primitive inlining usable and the
	        the profiling compiler effective)

They have been chosen based on profiling slow operations including
the Magma LargeInteger benchmark, the bytecode compiler, and opening
explorers on large Arrays.

I suspect that with all of the above done Exupery will have a
minimally useful core. It would still need a few more critical
primitives but which ones will then depend on what you want to speed
up. At the moment, everything needs at least three of the four
features above.

At the moment, I'm leaning towards blocks next.

Any thought?

Bryce