What should be in the next release.

Tony Garnock-Jones tonyg at lshift.net
Wed Nov 9 14:11:09 CET 2005

Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> Or are you proposing to have Exupery inline blocks? This would certainly
> be possible in precisely the cases where the current compiler issues a
> jump byte code instead of full block

Yes, this is what I'm hoping Exupery will do.

> , except you do it in a much more
> complicated way without any gain in speed or flexibility.

I disagree - it isn't quite "for free", but it's similar to the way
other message-sends are inlined; and you *do* gain both speed and
flexibility in terms of defining control structures in userland rather
than requiring ad-hoc compiler hacks for efficiency. The Self system
demonstrated the benefits of the technique quite nicely, IMO.

Cheers,
  Tony
--
 [][][] Tony Garnock-Jones     | Mob: +44 (0)7905 974 211
   [][] LShift Ltd             | Tel: +44 (0)20 7729 7060
 []  [] http://www.lshift.net/ | Email: tonyg at lshift.net