Some questions

Guillermo Adrián Molina guille at losmolina.com.ar
Sun Apr 29 08:52:54 UTC 2007

> Guillermo Adrián Molina writes:
>  > >  > After compiling lots of methods using exupery, it fails with very
> big
>  > >  > methods because spillable is nil, and spillable first throws an
> error.
>  > > If
>  > >  > I make less inlining (for example, not inlining divisions and
>  > >  > multiplications), it compiles ok!
>  > >  > Any ideas?
>  > >
>  > > I'd guess it's a limit with the register allocator. It is possible
>  > > that it can fail to find a register to spill when it needs to spill
>  > > something. Given this bug will not cause crashes or incorrect
>  > > execution it's not high priority.
>
> If you want to fix that limit in the register allocator I could give
> you some pointers. The problem is due to to how the problem is broken
> down into stages. I'd need to dig through code to remember the details
> though.

Yes I do want. Please let me know where to start.

> I'm planning on working on the register allocator in the next release.
> The goal will be making it faster, it has a few serious performance
> problems.

Exupery's compile time is not a problem for me. But may be I have to wait
for you to finish with the register allocator, in order to try to fix the
limit.
Please let me know what do you want me to do.
Right now, I have allready finished with unit testing. The next thing I
will do is to include all the compiler classes in my project (remeber that
right now, that is done in Squeak), may be it would be convenient for me
to wait for 0.12 before I do that.

Another thing, Do you want the code I made for cmovxx?

Cheers Guille.