Thinking about Exupery 0.14

bryce at kampjes.demon.co.uk bryce at kampjes.demon.co.uk
Tue Dec 18 20:11:57 UTC 2007

Igor Stasenko writes:
 > On 17/12/2007, bryce at kampjes.demon.co.uk <bryce at kampjes.demon.co.uk> wrote:
 > >   arithmaticLoopBenchmark 1396 compiled  128 ratio: 10.906
 > >   bytecodeBenchmark       2111 compiled  460 ratio:  4.589
 > >   sendBenchmark           1637 compiled  668 ratio:  2.451
 > >   doLoopsBenchmark        1081 compiled  715 ratio:  1.512
 > >   pointCreation           1245 compiled 1317 ratio:  0.945
 > >   largeExplorers           728 compiled  715 ratio:  1.018
 > >   compilerBenchmark        483 compiled  489 ratio:  0.988
 > >   Cumulative Time         1125 compiled  537 ratio   2.093
 > >
 > >   ExuperyBenchmarks>>arithmeticLoop                249ms
 > >   SmallInteger>>benchmark                         1112ms
 > >   InstructionStream>>interpretExtension:in:for: 113460ms
 > >   Average                                         3155.360

First, from the numbers above, I'd say that having a method that takes
2 minutes to compile is currently the biggest practical problem. The
second set of numbers is a compilation time benchmark. The second
biggest problem is that a 2.4 times increase in send speed is not
transferring through to the two macro-benchmarks (largeExplorers and
compilerBenchmark).

 > Do you make any difference between calling compiling method and , for
 > instance, a primitive function?

The sender doesn't know if it's sending to a primitive or to a full
method. If Exupery compiles a primitive then it executes in the
senders context, just like the interpreter,

 > As i remember, you compiling methods to some form of a routine, which
 > can be called using cdecl convention.
 > But on top of that, knowing the fact that you calling a compiled
 > method you can use some register optimizations like passing arguments
 > in it, and in general by knowing where you changing registers, you can
 > predict what of them are changing after call, and what will stay
 > unchanged.
 > And, of course, nothing stops you from using own calling convention to
 > make code working faster. There's also a MMX/SSE registers which can
 > be used for different purposes.
 > All of the above, depending on choices, can greatly improve sends speed.
 > Just want to know, what you thinking about it.

Currently Exupery uses C's calling conventions combined with the
interpreters handling of contexts, there's plenty of room to improve
this but I doubt that raw send speed is why the macro benchmarks
aren't performing.

Also full method inlining will change the value of other send
optimisations by removing most of the common sends. It's the best
optimisation for common sends. 1.0 is a base to add full method
inlining too.

 > And small trick when compiling SmallInteger methods: you already know
 > that receiver is a smallinteger. So, by using that knowledge, some
 > tests can be omitted.
 > In same manner you can deal with compiling methods for classes which
 > have byte/reference indexed instances.

Exupery compiles a method for each receiver so this is possible but
not done yet. It'll get even more interesting when combined with full
method inlining, then common self sends will become completely free.

Bryce