Dynamically choosing a register

J J azreal1977 at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 24 16:55:16 UTC 2007

Hello list,I have a question that is probably silly, but I couldn't find anything on the internet that answered it exactly.I am looking at a register machine version of Squeak, and one thought I had to make the number of operations per method even less was that the send opcode would put the location that the result should be stored into a variable in the new active context.My question was, in some cases I would like this to be a literal hardware, but is that even possible?  Do all register names have to already be in code or can a memory location refer to a register and the CPU use it (e.g. x86store_op [some memory location that points to a register]  ; double indirection)?Thanks,Jason