Introducing Huemul

Guillermo Adrián Molina guille at losmolina.com.ar
Fri May 25 21:56:02 UTC 2007

> Guillermo Adrián Molina writes:
>  > There you will find information to download a demo of the Smalltalk
>  > implementation that translates st code directly to assembler, using
>  > Exupery as the final compiler phase.
>  >
>  > Please let me know what you think.
>
> Are you planning on releasing source? I'm curious to see how you're
> using Exupery.

Well you can see the ST source with the example in the web page.
I use just the Exupery's low level compiler. I had to replace the high
level compiler, because it is too tightly coupled to Squeak.
But, yes  I am planning to release source code. I am not doing so yet,
because I would have to explain a lot of things (about the compilation
process). When I get a simpler compilation process I will let anyone see
(and help).
But please be patient, I am not far from that.

>   bash-3.1$ ./huemul
>   Huemul 0.1
>   quit to exit
>   > 0 benchmark
>   Segmentation fault

Yes, sorry about that, It is too buggy.
But, I have a 32 bit machine, It work for me:

Huemul 0.1
quit to exit
> 0 benchmark
68342891

Now the numbers are not so great because I have partially implemented an
external GC. (http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Hans_Boehm/gc)

> I'm running Gentoo 64 on an Athlon 64. I tried both under 64 bit
> and 32 bit compatability mode (a chroot jail).
>
> It might be worthwhile announcing somewhere else as well. This list
> is small, though seems to have a few interested people.

I am planning to do so. But first I wanted to know what Exupery's palls
have to say about it.
Something else, I am planning to implement the Exupery's high level too.
But for now it is enough. Please keep making a better Exupery, it will
help us all.

Cheers, Guille