Introducing Huemul

J J azreal1977 at hotmail.com
Sat May 26 09:46:18 UTC 2007

>From: sig <siguctua at gmail.com>
>To: "Discussion about Exupery a native code
>compiler."<exupery at lists.squeakfoundation.org>
>Subject: Re: Introducing Huemul
>Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 02:23:27 +0300
>
>I want to
>overthrow this concept, and move almost all VM functionality into
>smalltalk without losing speed, and by gaining a flexibility and
>scalability at same time.

Here I see things a little different.  I mean that is a good thing to hope
for in the future, but I'm a fan of smaller bite-sized chunks.  I think a
good first step would be to be to (1) make a DSL-style system in Smalltalk
for creating assembly code (think Slang but without the limitations) and (2)
going right to the assembly, no translations to more-limited-then-asm
intermediates like (especially) C.

I'm not sure how much of this has been done already, but I think we have a
lot of options today (e.g. Pepsi, maybe some code from Exupery and maybe
Huemul) to explore this.