Speedup from Exupery for SqueakElib

Rob Withers reefedjib at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 17 20:14:56 UTC 2007

Hi All!

I have reached step 2.4 in my SqueakElib plan documented here:
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6011, but I don't know anything about Exupery.
I suppose my first question is whether I am right in assuming that I will
see speedups if I incorporate Exupery?

My next question is related to the work I did in steps 1.3, 1.4, and 1.5.  I
modified the VM to use larger contexts (80+7), to add extra long jump
bytecodes for jump:, jumpIfTrue: and jumpIfFalse:, and to add bytecodes for
doing receiver class tests.  Will these additions cause problems with
Exupery?

If all is ok so far, I want to build my modified Windows VM with Exupery, so
I am reading http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5904.  I am confused as to which
VMMaker I can use to build.  I currently have VMMaker-tpr.58.mcz loaded.
Can you confirm that I need to either overwrite this VMMaker with the one
from the Exupery repository or that I need to build fresh with the one from
the Exupery repository?   Also, where is the VMMaker from the Exupery
repository - where is the Exupery repository?  Finally, what is the best
Subversion client for Windows and how do I connect to this Exupery
repository?

Thanks and Cheers,
Rob