native CompiledMethod format

Gerardo Richarte gera at corest.com
Wed Oct 29 01:55:07 UTC 2008

Hi, for some time I've been wondering how the native code for
CompiledMethods is arranged, and I have a few specific questions. Any
pointers to info will be very much welcome

Are the native opcodes maintained in Smalltalk objects or in external
memory?

and then:

Generally, how are CompiledMethods fixed after a Garbage Collection?

for example, how are references to other objects handled?
are calls to other methods somehow inlined (I mean, direct calls, not
through lookups), and if so, how are this inlined direct calls solved
when native code moves around (if it's stored in Object Memory)

    I know that by reading the code I can learn all this, but my need
for info is not so serious :)

    thanks a lot!
    richie