iMac support

Cameron Sanders camsanders01 at roadrunner.com
Sun Jul 5 17:51:17 UTC 2009

Bryce & Exupery-minded folks:

I am using Pharo on an iMac for an in-house project that may later
become a commercial product. My main displeasure with Pharo right now
is performance; it sounds like Exupery may help greatly.

With that in mind, I am willing to help with Exupery, at least in
terms of compilation on the iMac. I must be realistic about my time: I
won't be able to invest a block of time until November or December.
Still, along the way, I can begin exploring and learning.

My background (which I may already have shamelessly provided on some
squeak list): I have written a million-plus of lines of code in C,
always with an eye on performance (we rolled our own Objective-C like
environment in the 1980's and early 1990's to build a radiation
treatment planning system -- the product is used widely around the
globe today... so it works!); also, I have written several byte-code
interpreters over the years, so I am familiar with the general
principles. The catch: I haven't compiled a C program in over 12
years, except for turnkey GNU products. Furthermore, my coding during
the last 12 years has been part-time in Python (extensively), java,
gawk, or perl, and smalltalk (during the last year or so); as a
result, the jargon I use is ... antiquated, if not corrupted, and
quite simply, derelict. (Add to that the fact that I often type too
fast and hit send too quickly... )

So... where to begin? I know I recently saw a link, but if you could
please give me some direction, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Cam