Papers that inspire Exupery

Mathieu Suen mathieusuen at yahoo.fr
Tue Jul 6 17:02:44 UTC 2010

On Jul 5, 2010, at 11:35 PM, Bryce Kampjes wrote:

> On Mon, 2010-07-05 at 21:15 +0200, Mathieu Suen wrote:
>> Hi Bryce,
>>
>> I would like to know if you can provide us a list a papers on Jit.
>> Anything that inspire/explain what your doing in Exupery.
>
> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5792

Link of your papers seems broken.

> The short answer is it's an attempt build on the insights from Holzle's
> work on Self compilation and allow type feedback to be used with solid
> optimization.
>
> Good inlining and type information through type feedback opens the door
> to serious optimization but standard type feedback VMs rely on very fast
> compilers which don't have time to optimize well.
>
>> And also what do you think of stack base VM vs. register base VM?
>> I am asking because in smalltalk I am wondering if it worth register base VM.
>
> My view is the bytecode should be stack based but the JIT register
> based. It's easy to do very good register allocation across trees (i.e.
> stack based).
>
> Trees are a convenient structure to work with and a stack based bytecode
> is just a linear representation of a tree.
>
> If you're optimizing heavily it doesn't matter too much what
> representation you choose as you'll transform it through several
> representations during compilation. If you're optimizing quickly and
> simply trees are convenient.

Thanks for your answer I agree that for the point of view of Jit there is no big deal.
But if you stay on the bytecode level then having some #sendArgTemp0: can avoid dispatching the #pushTemp:0  bytecode.

Also have you an idea on what is faster:
 - Make a small optimization but work throw the tree many time.
 - Make a big optimization and avoiding tree walk

I guess you have some optimization that can't be done in several tree walk?

> Bryce

-- Mathieu