Magma + Seaside

Brent Pinkney brent.pinkney at aircom.co.za
Thu Oct 27 12:44:58 UTC 2005

> Why do I always need to walk along the bleeding edge?

The edge of the cliff is the only place you can see the view :)

> The only/biggest issue is probably session handling.

Ok. We have a fair amount of experience here. The STTCPW is to have the
Magma server in the same image as Seaside. The alternative is to have a
separate Magma server image and connect from the Seaside image over TCP.

Assuming you take the 'in-image-server' advise then a subclass of
WASession can quickly allocate new MagmaSession which can be closed in
#expire.

Of course one can also have a single MagmaSession shared by all Seaside
session and protected with a semaphore.

> With Magma, it looks like the best approach is to use a connection pool
> of Magma sessions.

We have not found this to be necessary.

> The end result should be a simple environment where you can immediately
> start
> writing a domain model and seaside compoments without having to worry
> about persistence - I want to rid myself of having to be concerned
> about that level, doing demos based on image persistence, etcetera,
> for once and for all :)

We are living in that future today.

It is our intention to enhance Seaside's Sushi shop demo to use Magma.
Until then feel free to ask this list for tips and tricks - I monitor it.

--
Brent Pinkney
Aircom International (SA)
e-mail: brent.pinkney at aircom.co.za